A common question asked during the divorce process is: how do I return to my maiden name?  While many aspects of a divorce are complicated, this is not one of them!  The requirements are laid out in 54 Pa.C.S. § 701(b).

A woman can revert back to her maiden name by simply filing a Notice to Retake Prior Surname with the court.  The form can be prepared by an attorney, but it also normally available at Prothonotary’s Office for the county where the divorce has been filed.  The form must be completed, signed, notarized, and then filed with the court, along with the proper filing fee.  The Prothonotary will then stamp and seal the form, making it official.  You can resume your maiden name before or after the divorce is finalized.

Then, you will be required to notify all the relevant institutions about your name change.  This will include the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), Social Security Administration, and various other institutions.  Additional copies of the Notice can be obtained at the Prothonotary’s Office.

If you have any questions or need assistance with reverting back to your maiden name, please contact me directly at mhovey@gmail.com.  Thank you!